Have you been awarded a grant or scholarship for artistic or scientific work?
If you have been awarded a grant or scholarship in Finland, your pension insurance is provided by Mela. You have a legal obligation to apply for pension insurance if you meet the following conditions:
- Your grant or scholarship has been awarded for work lasting at least four months
- Grant and scholarship work lasting less than four months can also qualify for pension insurance in certain conditions by adding it to an existing pension policy. Further information: Adding a new grant or scholarship to an existing insurance policy.
- The amount of your grant or scholarship when converted into annual income is 3,980 euros or more (2020). Further information: Annual earnings.
- You are not employed by the same body that awarded the grant or scholarship
- You are between the ages of 18 and 68 but not yet on an old-age pension
- You are eligible for the Finnish social security system.
If you are eligible for the Finnish social security system, you also have a legal obligation to take out pension insurance if you perform your grant or scholarship work outside of Finland, or if you come to Finland to work on a grant or scholarship. Further information: Working abroad on a grant or scholarship.
You do not have to take out pension insurance in the following instances:
- You have been awarded a grant or scholarship for basic degree studies
- Your grant or scholarship was awarded to cover expenses alone (such as travel grants).