Working in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland

Within the EU/EEA region, which also includes Switzerland, the principal rule is that you are insured in accordance with the legislation of the country in which you are carrying out the actual work. If, as a recipient of a grant/scholarship, you wish to remain covered by the Finnish social security system, you must file a petition with the Finnish Centre for Pensions. The decision of the Finnish Centre for Pensions concerning your entitlement to Finnish social security is affected by the grant/scholarship, as well as your other sources of income. If you receive an affirmative decision, you are entitled to apply for Finnish employment pension insurance as well as for Kela benefits that are payable within the EU/EEA region.

Updated 12.11.2015