Working elsewhere

If you intend on doing your work somewhere other than within the EU/EEA region, Switzerland or one of the aforementioned social security agreement countries, you will need to contact Kela. A period of grant/scholarship work that lasts less than one year falls within the sphere of MYEL insurance. In these cases, however, you are still required to notify Kela that you are going abroad. If such work periods abroad become a regular occurrence, even if the duration of each period is short, you must be in touch with Kela to determine your right to be covered by Finnish social security.

You must separately apply to Kela to remain within the Finnish social security system when planning any period abroad of longer than one year.

Updated 12.11.2015