A foreigner from a country other than the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland

Persons coming from a country other than an EU/EEA country or Switzerland can be insured if they fall within the sphere of Finland’s social security legislation on the basis of residential status.

Acceptance into the sphere of the Finnish social security system is applied for from Kela. The grant/scholarship recipients should submit a social security application to Kela at the same time as they apply for MYEL insurance, since MYEL insurance can affect the applicability of Finnish social security.

Updated 01.07.2013